One of the best breakfast/ brunch dish which is easy to make and will definitely impress your loved ones. It’s healthy, tasty and it’s name is fun to speak. what else do you need? follow the simple steps to make this dish. (This recipe was inspired by the book “just a french guy cooking- by Alexis Gabriel Ainouz , find its video on youtube and buy his book it’s amazing)
Shakshouka (Arabic: شكشوكة, also spelled shakshuka, chakchouka) is a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, and onions, commonly spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper .
Olive oil- 2 tbsp
Chorizo/ goan / spicy sausage- 2 no.
Medium sized onions- 2 no.
Red and yellow peppers- 2 no.
Medium sized ripe Tomatoes – 4 no.
Garlic- 4 cloves
Tomato puree- 1 tbsp.
Harissa paste – 1 tbsp / chili powder – 1 tbsp
Cumin powder – 1 tbsp.(optional)
Salt- to taste
Pepper powder- to taste
Eggs- 4 nos.
- Place a medium sized non stick sauce pan on medium heat and drizzle some olive oil on it.
- Break the chorizo into small pieces and add to the pan and let it fry for a while.
- Peel and slice 2 onions and add to the pan. Cook till they become soft.
- Chop the tomatoes and slice the bell peppers and add to the pan.
- Add chopped garlic and tomato puree and harissa paste (or chili powder) to it.
(Harissa paste- blend 4 cloves of garlic, few chilies,1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of ground coriander in a blender, store it in a air tight lid topped with olive oil )
6.Season it with salt , pepper and cumin powder(optional)
7. Cook till sauce starts to thicken then reduce the heat and break eggs into the sauce.
8. Cook till eggs are cooked and sauce has become thick.
9. Serve it garnished with coriander leaves and sesame seed.