Bebinca, also known as bibik or bebinka, is a type of pudding and a traditional Indo-Portuguese dessert. Traditional Bebinca has seven layers. The ingredients include plain flour, sugar, ghee (clarified butter), egg yolk, and coconut milk.It is also a traditional sweet in Goa during Christmas. It is also easily available to carry and preserve for a long time or eaten fresh. (wikipedia)
Just follow the following easy steps and make your own Bebinca to impress your loved ones.
Coconut milk- 400 ml
Egg yolks- 9 nos.
Plain flour-100 gms.
Caster sugar- 400 gms.
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp.
Cardamom powder-1 tsp.
Brown colour-1 tsp.
Salt- a pinch
Butter- for greasing between layers.
- First add egg yolks to coconut milk one by one and mix with an electric beater or whisk.
- Then add sugar to the egg and coconut milk mixture and mix well.
- Gradually add flour to the mixture and mix well until there are no lumps in the mixture. (Scrape the sides with spatula to ensure proper mixing).
- Add a pinch of salt and cardamom powder and vanilla essence to the mixture and mix well.
- Divide the mixture in 2 equal parts and add brown colour to one half of the mixture.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius , grease the baking dish with butter .
- Add the first layer of batter (90 ml. approx or as per the baking dish) and cook it for 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Once baked , grease the layer with butter and add the second layer of brown coloured batter and cook it for 8-10 mins or until set.
- Repeat the above steps with alternate layer of white and brown batter until you get 7 layers or until all the batter is used.
- Take it out and let it rest for at least an hour. Loosen the edges with a knife and place a plate on top of the container and flip it to release it from the baking dish.
- Cut in to desired shape and serve it with Vanilla ice cream .
(Bebinca served with whipped cream, dry fruit crumble, dark chocolate disk )