A tres leches cake (Spanish: pastel de tres leches, torta de tres leches or bizcocho de tres leches), also known as pan tres leches(“three milks bread”), is a sponge cake—in some recipes, a butter cake—soaked in three kinds of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk and topped with heavy cream
When butter is not used, the Tres Leches is a very light cake, with many air bubbles. This distinct texture is why it does not have a soggy consistency, despite being soaked in a mixture of three types of milk. (source:wikipedia)
I made this cake for my mom’s birthday and it came out amazing. here is the recipe for this decadent dessert.
INGREDIENTS: (for one 10 inch cake)
Cake flour / all purpose flour : 225 gm
Baking powder: 1tsp.
Granulated sugar: 156 gm
Eggs (separated): 5 no.
Vanilla Essence: 1 tsp
Whole milk:180 ml
Unsalted butter: 115 gm
FOR 3 MILK SAUCE:
Whole milk: 60 ml
Sweetened condensed milk: 35 ml
Evaporated milk: 35 ml
Whipping Cream: 200 ml
Sugar: 1 tbsp
1.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Spray a non stick baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and lay the bottom with parchment paper, set aside.
2.Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and keep aside.
3.In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar, add the egg yolks and vanilla and mix on medium speed for about 3 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and very pale. Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they develop stiff peaks.
4. Add half of the milk along with half of the dry ingredients and mix them just enough to incorporate (don’t over mix) add in the remaining milk and dry ingredients and mix everything together.
5. Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter making sure to do it gently so you don’t deflate the egg whites.
6.Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7.Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes and remove to a platter (make sure the platter has high edges because the milk mixture will run out the sides as you pour it on top)
8. Pierce the cake all over the top with a fork and set aside.
9. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the 1 cup of whole milk, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk, pour this mixture slowly all over the top of the cake so that it all soaks in the tender sponge.
10. Let that sit for a about 20 to 30 minutes so that the milk mixture really soaks in and then move on to making the whipped cream topping.
11. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and whisk to form soft peaks, add the powder sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
12) Spread the whipped cream all over the top of the cake and decorate with maraschino cherries.
- The whole milk can be replaced with coconut milk to add a twist to this recipe and it can be garnished with toasted coconut flakes.
- To make evaporated milk , gently heat the milk till it gets reduced to half the initial quantity and add sugar.