Here is a recipe for basic sponge cake but with an added ingredient called GMS or Glycerol monostearate which is an emulsifying and anti caking agent and helps giving a body to the cake and makes it more spongy. this sponge cake can be used as a base for many cakes.
Refined flour- 115gm
Grain sugar-115 gm
Eggs- 3 no.
vanilla essence- few drops
baking powder- 1/4 tsp
GMS powder- 1/4 tsp
- Sieve flour with baking powder and GMS powder.
- Beat the eggs and sugar over hot water until stiff and creamy.
- Add vanilla essence to it.
- Fold the flour into egg and mix lightly. Add 50-60 ml hot water and pour this mixture in a half kg lined cake tin
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes.
- check for doneness by putting a toothpick in the center of the cake. if it comes clean the cake is ready.
(To make chocolate sponge cake replace half the quantity of flour with cocoa powder)
(Vanilla and chocolate sponge cakes with strawberry buttercream and dark chocolate ganache)
FOR STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM:
Fresh Strawberries- 1 cup
Softened butter – 1 cup
Confectioners sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
2 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- puree the strawberries until smooth.
- Transfer strawberry puree to a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring often, until puree is reduced by at least half, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat 1 cup confectioners’ sugar into butter until just blended.
- Beat 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and vanilla extract into butter mixture until just blended.
- Repeat with 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, followed by 2 tablespoons strawberry puree two more times.
- Beat last 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar into mixture until just blended.
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
150 gm dark chocolate compound
150 gm fresh cream
Melt the chocolate with fresh cream over a double boiler and your ganache is ready. adjust the consistency by heating or cooling as desired.