Since it’s the beginning of summer and market is full of green mangoes and in Indian household it used to make dishes like Mango pickles, juices, jams or eaten raw with some salt and red chili powder. But it’s tartness can also be used to flavor the mango curd and make a pie or tart. Follow the steps to get a sweet and tangy dessert –
For Green Mango curd:
Green mango pulp- 110gm
Egg yolks- 5 no.
Whole egg- 1 no.
Powdered sugar – 110gm
Lime/ pomegranate juice -15 ml
Unsalted butter- 60 gm
For pie crust:
Short crust pastry dough: 150 gm
Egg wash – to brush the top (1 egg with 1 tbsp water)
1.Blind bake the pastry base at 160 degrees Celsius for 15- 20 mins.
FOR MANGO CURD:
- In a double boiler take thee egg yolks and the whole egg, powdered sugar, mango pulp and lemon/ pomegranate juice and whisk lightly.
- Cook gently until thick. Remove from double boiler, add butter and whisk until smooth. pass it through a sieve and let it chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hours
- Pour the mango curd in the pastry base and cover it with desired lattice (pastry dough design) top.
- Let it chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hour.
- Brush with egg wash and bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees for 15- 20 mins or until the top is golden brown.
- A double boiler is one bowl filled with the items to cook kept over another bowl filled with little water which is being heated at simmering temperature. it is used to gently cook the eggs without curdling.