A good tomato sauce can be used as a base for many dishes as it goes well with meat, poultry, fishes, pasta and pizza and some times rice (check the recipe of omurice). a big batch of tomato sauce can be made and stored for use and when required. Follow the recipe to make a tomato sauce that will make you lick your spatula after mixing.
INGREDIENTS: (for 500 gm sauce)
Ripe Tomatoes- 1 Kg
Garlic- 10-15 cloves
Chili flakes- 20 gm.
Olive oil- 50 ml.
Mixed Italian herbs- 20 gm
Baking soda- a pinch
Sugar- 10 gm.
Chopped onion- 50 gm
- Blanch, peel and puree the tomatoes.
- In a large pan ,heat olive oil with garlic and chili flakes and dried Italian herbs .
- Add chopped onion to it and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add sugar to it.
- Add tomato puree and season ,mix and bring to a boil .
- Add a pinch of baking soda to it and let it simmer for at least 45 minutes or till reduced.
- Add fresh herbs like fresh basil and oregano at the end.
- If you want a chunky tomato sauce chop the tomatoes instead of pureeing it.
- The baking soda helps in reducing the acidity of tomatoes.