This type of pastry is often used for the base of Tart, Pie or Quiche. It is a very simple pastry which can be used for both sweet and savory dishes such as apple pies, quiche or chicken pie. Just measure the products write and follow the instructions to get an amazing crumbly pastry!
INGREDIENTS:(For 250 gm. of dough)
Powdered sugar-25 gm.
Salt-5 gm. (for savory pastry)
Ice Cold water-3-4 tbsp.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt (for savory items) in a large bowl .
- Add chilled butter and cut it into tiny pieces in the flour.
- Rub in the butter lightly with fingertips until it resembles the texture of fresh bread crumbs.
- Mix with cold water to form a dough. DO NOT KNEAD IT.
- Wrap the dough with plastic and chill fr 20-30 minutes
- The dough is ready to roll out now, or it may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 weeks.(Thaw frozen dough in refrigerator before using)
- Scale out the dough as necessary and roll out the dough on a floured surface to get the desired shape and thickness with smooth ,even strokes.
- Transfer the dough to a prepared pie or tart pan, or cut and fit into tartlet pans. The shell is ready to fill or blind bake now.
- To blind bake bake at 150 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes.
1.Make sure the butter is absolutely chilled.
2.To make more or less, remember the proportions – half fat to flour – and don’t add too much water or the pastry will be hard. If other dry ingredients are included in the recipe, add them at the same time as the salt.
3. Dock (prick holes in the rolled out pie dough) the pie crust before blind baking as it helps in releasing steam.